In cases of progressed periodontal disease, surgical procedures will be utilized in order to re-establish optimal periodontal health. While your periodontist will determine if surgery is needed based on the variables of your case, there are a few primary reasons that surgery would be recommended.
- There are deep pockets around the teeth.
- There is evidence of gum recession.
- There are cosmetic concerns that cannot be addressed through other means.
- There is evidence of bone loss.
- The teeth need to be moved and surgery is required before the placement of braces.